My name is Jan-Peter Bakker. I started working in IT in 1989. I started of as a consultant and made my step to project management a few years later.
I specialize in Project and Program Management and have been certified as an IPMA-B level “Senior Project Manager”. This is a selected group within the Netherlands since there are only approximately 300 certified IPMA-B level project managers. This clearly states the level of expertise I have and differentiates me from project managers with just a Prince II background.
Ever since I started Stepahead Consulting BV in 2006, I have supported multiple (international) companies with the selection process and full implementation of complex software/ IT solutions. Prior to this I have worked for different consulting firms such as PricewaterhouseCoopers and Deloitte as a Project Manager.
I’m convinced that a successful project can only be achieved by focusing on the 5 base components for Project management:
- Scope: The scope needs to be clear, detailed enough and strongly managed
- Time: A solid planning based on deliverables and work packages needs to be defined and maintained. Realistic durations, dependencies and clear resource management is needed to ensure the feasibility of the planned activities
- Budget: To manage the project financially, a clear report and visibility is needed. This will lead to a “Project to End” forecast which must be reported on a regular basis to the Steering Committee and/or other stake holders.
- Governance: Roles and responsibilities must be clear and in line with each other. Project procedures must be set up to ensure visibility at all times on Change requests, issues and risks.
- Risks: Managing the risks needs to be done on a ongoing basis to avoid unexpected situations.
My goal is to achieve the maximum result out of an implementation project. I do this by optimizing projects and programs using all (base) components for project and program management.
I use world wide accepted project methodologies, templates, clear reports and expertise from experienced people. By doing this at the right moment within the project, I am able to meet
deadlines and to book results within the given timeframe.
Stepahead differs from other companies by using:
- Successfully proven methodology and project approach
- The use of templates to secure quality and to support the methodology used
- Strong focus on the 5 base components of project management to steer the project or program: Scope, Time, Budget, Governance and Risks
- Deliverable driven including the use of the right resources
- Able to consult on each conceptual level
- Excellent view on company processes and process improvements during implementations
- Broad experience with international projects
- Managing by influence and arguments, not based on hierarchy